BACK TO BASICS
Members First

 Phone: +27 (0) 830 123 543
 Email: info@num.org.za
 Website: www.num.org.za

Tuesday , February , 27 2024
Subscribe to our News
Name

Search
NUM News
13

NUM is still opposed to the unbundling of Eskom

posted on
NUM is still opposed to the unbundling of Eskom

Press Statement, 13 August 2023

NUM is still opposed to the unbundling of Eskom

The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) is angered by Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan's decision to go ahead with the unbundling of Eskom. This is after Minister Gordhan approved the sale of Eskom's distribution assets to a new state-owned company. 

The agent provocateurs of unbundling, who are the investors, rating agencies and the World Bank are celebrating this bad news against South Africans. Especially the black majority who are still living in energy poverty, joblessness, hunger and without shelter. The unbundling of Eskom is a precursor to the privatization of electricity in South Africa.

The NUM met with Eskom on Thursday where the power utility announced that it was going to transfer the company's distribution assets to a new state-owned company. As NUM, we are shocked that distribution has been sold after seeing the letter circulating on social media. We still hold that unbundling is not good for the country. 

The NUM remains opposed to the unbundling of Eskom. Eskom and the Minister of Public Enterprises are unilaterally implementing this decision without proper consultation with key stakeholders such as the unions and the public.

The unbundling of Eskom will not save Eskom from declining revenue, escalating debt, escalating primary energy costs and a realistic plant maintenance program. Scientists have proved that the envisaged solar and wind IPPs have an Energy Capacity factor of less than 40%. This means that electricity from wind and solar is only available 40% of the time, the other 60% of the time we need to supplement with another source of energy. The NUM further noticed the decision to unbundle Eskom is a first step towards the privatization of Eskom. It is what we characterize as green colonization as all these green projects are coming from former colonizers.

The NUM was and is still against the unbundling of Eskom. Pravin Gordhan is selling Eskom without consulting the public. 

For more detailed information, please contact:

Mpho Phakedi, NUM Deputy General Secretary, 082 882 3452

Khangela Baloyi, NUM Energy Sector Coordinator, 072 450 6251

Livhuwani Mammburu, NUM National Spokesperson, 083 809 3257

Luphert Chilwane, NUM Media Officer, 083 809 3255

The National Union of Mineworkers
7 Rissik Street.
Cnr Frederick Johannesburg
Tel: 011 377 2111 Cell: 083 809 3257
Twitter: @Num_Media

 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/NUM/100860023402167

Categories: | Tags: | Comments: (0) | View Count: (369) | Return

Post a Comment

About Us
The National Union of Mineworkers was founded in 1982.

Its birth was facilitated by comrades Cyril Ramaphosa who rose to be its first General Secretary, James Motlatsi who turned to be its first President, and Elijah Barayi who became its Vice President and later the President of Cosatu in 1985 when the federation was formed. porn