Phone: +27 (0) 830 123 543
Phone: +27 (0) 11 377 2198/9
Press Statement, 13 March 2017
The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) has concluded both the Voluntary Separation Package and retrenchment agreements on the 10th of March 2017 with Evander Gold mine.
Evander Gold Mine is a subsidiary of the Pan African Resources.
This after Evander Gold Mine served the NUM with Section 189(3) notice of the Labour Relations Act to retrench 2 400 workers.
Details of the collective agreements are as follows:
· We concluded both the Voluntary Separation Package and retrenchment agreements before we can conclude retrenchment process, for the company to be able to source funds to avoid the closure of the mine which will affect more than 2000 employees, whom majority are our members.
· Currently the affected employees are 976 from 2 400 who were likely to be retrenched.
· We have agreed that we will start with Voluntary Separation Package and redeployment to other mines to reduce the number of 976 affected employees.
· Should the VSP and redeployment not assist in avoiding retrenchment, we will then engage in the retrenchment process.
· Both agreements were presented in the mass meeting, the members gave the NUM a blessing to sign, so to avoid the closure of the mine.
For more information, please contact:
Stanley Lebelo: NUM Highveld Regional Secretary: 082 933 7586
Bongani Tshabalala: NUM Highveld Organiser: 079 518 4774
Livhuwani Mammburu: NUM National Spokesperson: 083 809 3257
7 Rissik Street.
Tel: 011 377 2111
Twitter: @Num Media