Phone: +27 (0) 830 123 543
Phone: +27 (0) 11 377 2198/9
The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) has today tabled its wage demands to Kumba Iron Ore for the 2017 wage negotiations.
NUM Press Alert, 25 May 2017
The NUM submitted wages and conditions of employment on behalf of its members both in Kolomela and Sishen operation as follows:
1. Hours of work
Sishen 45 hours currently, need to be reduced to 40 hours a week.
Kolomela 44 hours currently, to be reduced to 40 hours a week.
2. Dust Allowance
10% of the basic salary of employees exposed to dust to be introduced and paid.
3. Housing allowance
R 5000.00 Housing allowance demands for all employees irrespective of grades.
4. Harmonization of grades
• We demand that the hauling truck operators be graded to P4
• All artisans in Kumba grades to be aligned.
5. Employee Share Ownership Scheme
A new scheme should be in place effective from the current financial year and it should be 15% loan free ownership scheme.
6. Medical Aid
The current medical aid calculations be revised in that; the company first contributing and the employee paying the balance, the increased to be topped at maximum of R3000.
7. Pension Fund
The company contribution should be 15% effective 1st July 2018
• Sick-leave days to increase from 120 to 180.
• Allocation should be on the 1st day of each leave cycle, instead of accumulative.
• Maternity – removal of allowances is discriminative, thus all circumstantial allowance should be in place for all employees on maternity leave.
• Paternity leave to be 5 days.
• Family responsibility 10 days.
• People who are been removed temporarily from shifts should also receive their allowances.
• 4 days study leave of which 3 days for studying and 1 for writing exam including short courses.
9. Recognition of Long Service
The long service award should pay employees R 5000.00 for each completed 5 years of service.
10. Incapacity Process
The finalisation of the current work and policy on incapacity by 01st July 2017 to be deleted
11. Salary increase
• P7 16% Increase (R1310.72)
• P6 15, 5% Increase (R1635.87)
• P5 15% Increase (R2023.05)
• P4 14% Increase (R2564.24)
• P3 12,5% Increase (R2586.25)
12. Duration of the agreement
(1) One year wage agreement effective from 1st July 2017
For more information, please contact:
Lucas Phiri: NUM Chief Negotiator at Kumba Iron ore: 082 883 7290
Livhuwani Mammburu: NUM National Spokesperson, 083 809 3257
7 Rissik Street.
Tel: 011 377 2111
Twitter: @Num Media
Its birth was facilitated by comrades Cyril Ramaphosa who rose to be its first General Secretary, James Motlatsi who turned to be its first President, and Elijah Barayi who became its Vice President and later the President of Cosatu in 1985 when the federation was formed. porn